The assignment this week gives you an opportunity to focus more in depth on a topic related to minors in the legal system that is either related to a court that you might like to work in or that is one that interests you. Use the Learning Resource in the topic that you selected as your starting point and gather more scholarly information about the topic. Recall that scholarly sources are defined as those that have evidence of peer review and that have APA-like reference citations both in text and in the reference list.
Do not use websites such as Wikipedia or WebMD, but many government websites do fit criteria for being scholarly, such as those associated with the National Institute of Justice. Summarize the scholarly information that you have gathered in a brief literature review.
To prepare for this Assignment:
Review the Learning Resources for this week, especially in the topic you selected. Choose an issue such as one of the following that is related to the topic you selected. You may focus on an issue not listed here that is related to minors in the legal system.
- Interviewing minors who have been abused
- Providing supportive services to child victims
- Ethical problems that can arise during child custody evaluations
- Transfer of juveniles to adult court to be charged as an adult
- Evidence-based interventions for juvenile justice youth, e.g., functional family therapy, multisystemic therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy
- Research strategies with minors to avoid ethical dilemmas
Conduct a scholarly literature search of your issue to find a minimum of three references in addition to the Learning Resource you have selected in order to prepare a 2- to 3-page summary and analysis. You may include the reading that you selected under this week’s Learning Resources.
Submit by Day 7:
- A summary of current research of the selected issue based on your literature review
- An analysis of how the involvement of minors makes the issue potentially more problematic
- An explanation of the supporting role of the forensic psychology professional in relation to the issue you selected