The following essential questions that I have posted are critical to help you explore and understand the assigned readings L & S Ch. 4 and Wong Ch 2 during Week 4. These questions are intended to drive and stimulate the discussion and move your understanding beyond the plain sense of the text. Reading my PPT and watching the posted videos will guide you to answer these questions.
Please select 2 questions (one question from L&S Ch. 4 and another one from Wong Ch.2) out of these posted essential questions, answer them and post your responses in the Week 3 discussion forum (50 words for each question minimum). Please write your answers in your own words!! Please note: please post your answer by 11: 59pm on Saturday (5/30).
· Be coherent;
· Be posted in the time allotted;
· Be respectful;
· Be scholarly
The following questions are based on L&S Ch.4:
· 1) Several theories for L2 learning have been proposed in this chapter. Is one of them more consistent with your own understanding of how languages are learned? If so, how have your experiences as a teacher or learner brought you to this view?
· 2) Compare and contrast the role of the environment in the behaviourist, innatist, and cognitive perspectives in Second Language Acquisition Process. Which is closest to your own view in terms of second language acquisition?
The following questions are based on Wong Ch 2
3) What are some of the questions that classroom teachers would like researchers to investigate on Second Language Acquisition? Can you think of reasons why these questions have not already been answered? Do you think that the questions that are important to teachers can only be answered through classroom research? Or do you see how research carried out in other environments can also contribute to pedagogical practice?
4) This chapter focuses on several accepted generalizations of SLA. Choose two that you feel are the most important that you would want a new ELL teacher to know. Explain why they are the best ideas to implement in a SLA classroom.