Critical analysis is a vital part of learning. The goal of this assignment is to help you practice your skills in reading mainstream media articles and being able to critically evaluate it as a source of information.
- Identify two states (try to find two that are dissimilar).
- For each state find the following information:
- If and type of sex education curriculum taught in schools
- Rates of HIV/AIDS, STIS, Teen Pregnancy
- Poverty rate, educational level achieved, average income, racial composition
- Compare and contrast the two states based on the information you collected. Once you have completed this task, provide your thoughts on the role, importance, and value of sex education, if any, on the well-being of these states.
- Finally, given what we know about the political nature of sex, HIV/AIDS and STIs, and what you know about the role of activism related to the HIV/AIDs epidemic, how would you advocate for a solution? How does exposure to past advocacy work support our solution? Will it work? Why or why not?
Your write up should exhibit careful thought, logical reasoning and briefly summarize each question (at least two well-developed paragraph approximately 4-6 sentences each minimum). After writing up the assignment, please provide an additional paragraph on your experience. Did you learn something new? Were there “aha” moments? If so, share them in at least one well-developed paragraph approximately 4-6 sentences. Use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
Points possible: 20
- Summary of Interview (2 paragraphs): 10 points
- Reflection (1 paragraph): 6 points
- Spelling and grammar: 4 points
I did upload some links that will help you with finding information: