The biopsychosocial model of health psychology incorporates biological, psychological and social factors to evaluate health-related behaviors and utilization of healthcare services. Our text reading this week focuses on stress and its relation to physical illness and psychological responses and coping. Using the Ashford Library, access the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5) using the instructions in the required resources section for this week and select one of the disorders in the section titled: “Trauma- and Stressor-related Disorders.” You will research your selected disorder in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine publication. The instructions below will assist you in your search:
- Go to the Ashford University Library (either via the link in the left navigation or the Student Portal)
- Click the “Advanced Search>>” link under the [email protected] search box
- Enter the name of the disorder you selected from the DSM-5 into the first text box
- Select “SU Subject Terms” in the drop-down menu next to your disorder
- Enter Annals of Behavioral Medicine in the second box
- Select “SO Journal Title/Source” in the drop-down menu next to the publication’s name
- Click the Search button
- Click “Relevance” and choose “Date Newest”
Read and discuss one or more articles published within the last five years in the journal listed above. If you are unable to find a current article in this publication that focuses on your selected disorder, choose another disorder or email the instructor for guidance.
Maintaining a focus on Health Psychology and utilizing the biopsychosocial perspective, explain the stress-related condition and your research of it from the standpoint of the biopsychosocial model focusing on both the related biological and psychosocial aspects. Evaluate and comment on behaviors related to the disorder. Distinguish between the health care services options for this disorder that are available to patients. Assess the information presented in the literature and describe how psychological methods and principles help patients manage and cope with this disorder. Your discussion should be a minimum of 300 words, and include appropriate citations from the referenced article and DSM-5, as well as any additional resources you choose to include in your discussion. Provide all resources as references in APA format.