The purpose of this assignment is to make explicit to yourself (primarily) and the reader, your developing and evolving identity as a professional nurse, at this point in time. To do this you will write a personal story that is focused on your development and exemplifies your self-authorship of becoming a baccalaureate-prepared nurse. Use this assignment as a time for self-reflection as a practitioner in nursing and tell your story based on your socialization and professional development in nursing.
Criteria for the Philosophy and Vision for Nursing assignment:
I. Journey through your development of nursing ideals, and discuss prior notions and beliefs about nursing.
- Describe where you were when you started and became socialized into nursing.
- Reflect upon what you have learned and “unlearned” regarding your notions or beliefs about nursing.
- Describe your core values, such as: moral courage, compassion, respect, integrity and how these may have changed as you moved through your journey as a baccalaureate student.
II. Looking through a new lens as a baccalaureate prepared nurse, write a personal statement that describes your philosophy and vision for nursing. This is an opportunity to craft a clear picture of your thinking with regard to your newly earned designation as a BS prepared RN:
- Identify the major values, attributes, and concepts you now embody as critical to your development as a professional in nursing.
- Examine how your philosophy of nursing either changed or strengthened as you progressed throughout the baccalaureate nursing program. Explain how these embodied values have now changed your views of nursing.
- Identify specific principles or concepts of selected nursing theories, standards of practice and/or IOM recommendations that provide a framework for your personal philosophy of nursing and clearly state what draws you to choosing and embracing them.
- Discuss your vision for the future of nursing and where you envision nursing evolving.
This assignment is approximately 3-4 pages in length. Title page, 2-level headings, citations in text, and reference list must be in APA format.