Apply the Seven Visual Elements to Art: How Do You Organize and Harmonize Your Art?
We use art in all kinds of ways in our everyday lives, often without recognizing the thought process involved. For example, when we select paintings, sculpture, art artifacts, etc. to decorate our homes and office spaces, we are actually critiquing art. Often we go far beyond superficial questions, such as does the color of the artwork match the furniture in the room and the paint on the walls? Most often in our selections, we are addressing critical aspects of art, such as what does this piece of art mean to me and why?
In this final course assignment, you will select a piece of modern art from your textbook that you would like to hang on your wall at home or in your office, and then analyze your selection based on two of the seven visual elements.
Using the Apply the Seven Visual Elements to Art Template [DOCX], write a 3–4-page paper in which you:
- Select one piece of modern art from your text that you can imagine hanging on your wall at home or at work and include the rationale behind your selection (1/2 page).
- Be sure to include an image of your selected piece of modern art in your paper. The image is not included in the required page count.
- Provide a background, or context, on the artist, the time period, and the artwork based on information in the textbook (1/2–1 page).
- Describe the seven visual elements used to analyze art. These include: line, color, shape, form, value, space, and texture (1–1 1/2 pages).
- Explain which two of the seven visual elements most influenced your selection and why (1 page).
- Integrate at least two quality resources using Source List for Apply the Seven Visual Elements to Art Assignment [DOCX]:
- In your assignment be sure to use in-text citations along with the provided source page.
- See the sample paper for the assignment due in Week 3 as a guide for in-text citations.
- Attach the source list page provided and enter the correct page number from your textbook for the piece of modern art you selected.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Preferred method: Typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the assignment title, your name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Citations and references must follow SWS format. The source list page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Analyze modern artworks based on their visual and contextual elements.