compose a 2-3 paragraph response to question 2-B. (At least 500 words)
2.Be Prepared to discuss Imani Perry’s article ‘Stinging Like Tabasco’. The main themes we will attend to are: Signification, Realism, Metaphor, Allegory, Composition vs. Construction and the four types of composition Perry discusses(Narrative, exhortation/proclamation, description, battle).
B. Listen to Erik B. & Rakim’s “Follow the Leader”. Discuss how the lyrical content exemplifies Realism using at least one of the following prompts:
- Is it literal, deceptive, argumentative, naturalist?
- How does violence function in the narrative/imagery/concept of the piece?
- Is there Metaphor present? Simile? Realism? Symbolism?
- What is the rhyme scheme like?
- What is the effect of the lyrics? Do they tell a story? What story? How is it being told?
- How do the lyrics draw us in with imagery? Where do the words take you? Are you caught up in a story, or thinking about a concept? How do the words create images, locations, and sensations for you as a listener?
- How does the imagery in the music video support the lyrical content?