Case Study 1: Auctions
Don’t just google. Research and select your references carefully. Do not list the questions in your paper. This will help with your plagiarism score.
The following video describes auctions as price discovery mechanisms
Use the video on auctions and at least 3 academic and/or high-quality business publications, to answer the following 5 questions in 5-7 pages:
1. There are many types of auctions each with strengths and weakness at uncovering the real price/value of an item. Compare and contrast: Include: What they are, how do they work and under what situations are they good and not good with uncovering value? Each has a weakness and strength in particular situations. Dig deep!!
a) the English and Dutch auctions; and,
b) the sealed bid first price auction and the Vickery Auction.
2. After many months of offers and counter offers for Sky PLC, the UK’s The Takeover Panel
(http://www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk/) required that Sky PLC be acquired via an auction. What type of auction was the Sky auction, who were the bidders and who won? Given that there had been multiple public offers revealed by the bidders, was the auction type selected the best type of auction for the Sky acquisition and tell why?
3. Auctions are widely used in finance, e-commerce and in e-games. Identify 3 applications of auctions used in finance, e-commerce and/or e-games. Explain the:
a) need for an auction in the product/service; and
b) what type of auction is used and why that type of auction is appropriate for the product/service.
4. Auctions are also widely used to generate revenue for not-for-profit organizations. What are the advantages/disadvantages of auctions as revenue generators for not-for-profit organizations?
5. Suggest ways in which the company you work for, or the company which you aspire to work for, can use auctions to better uncover value and increase
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12) with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment length.
Acceptable Types of Publications
The definition of a high-quality professional business publication is one which is primarily a publication directed to reporting and/or analysis of the workings of business. Examples are: Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters…etc. Avoid general news publications such as USA Today, Washington Post, NY Times.
PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON WIKIPEDIA, INVESTOPEDIA OR ANY OTHER PEDIA AS A REFERENCE AT ANYTIME.
You may submit 1 attempt at the assignment to test your SafeAssign Score. The SafeAssign score should be 25% or less. Read, digest, summarize and explain in your own words. Paraphrasing is plagiarism. The reader should never be in doubt of the source. Use in text citations and list on the reference page.
You may submit ONE AND ONLY ONE ADDITIONAL ATTEMPT.