Part 1: In 1-2 paragraphs (per question), answer the following questions in “answer and question format”:
- Unions can play a vital role in improving working conditions for workers in a globalized economy. From the Bowe’s readings, please describe two ways unions can improve working conditions in the agricultural industry.
- In your research on agricultural workers what realities of their lives you found most disturbing about their working conditions. Please be specific and cite your source.
- Please identify two reasons agricultural workers leave their homeland to work in the fields of American agricultural for low pay. Is it possible that free market competition benefits big corporations and undermine local farmers in Mexico?
- Please explain the how the working conditions described in Bowe’s book related to trade policy like (NAFTA).
Part 2: In two pages, write an essay explaining the labor conditions that unions improved based on the readings and your individual research.
- Address the sources of challenges and opportunities (e.g. profit motives by corporations, nationality and gender bias, lack of citizenship rights of migrant workers, and legal rights to unionized or lack thereof).
- Please provide resources as required by APA standards.
LBS 3001 (100 Points Rubric)LBS 3001 (100 Points Rubric)CriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeConnection to Reading20.0 ptsSuperiorResponse demonstrates a strong connection to theories, concepts, and/or strategies presented in the course materials to date.16.0 ptsSufficientResponse demonstrates a general connection to theories, concepts, and/or strategies presented in the course materials to date12.0 ptsMinimalResponse demonstrates a minimal connection to theories, concepts, and/or strategies presented in the course materials to date9.0 ptsUnacceptableResponse lacks connection to theories, concepts, and/or strategies presented in the course materials to date20.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeDepth of Reflection20.0 ptsSuperiorViewpoints and interpretations are insightful and well supported. Clear, detailed examples are provided, as applicable.16.0 ptsSufficientViewpoints and interpretations are supported. Appropriate examples are provided, as applicable.12.0 ptsMinimalViewpoints and interpretations are unsupported or supported with flawed arguments. Examples, when applicable, are not provided or are irrelevant to the assignment.9.0 ptsUnacceptableViewpoints and interpretations are missing, inappropriate, and/or unsupported. Examples, when applicable, are not provided.20.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeLogic/Reasoning20.0 ptsSuperiorSubstantial, logical, & concrete development of ideas. Assumptions are made explicit. Details are germane, original, and convincingly interpreted.16.0 ptsSufficientOffers solid but less original reasoning. Assumptions are not always recognized or made explicit. Contains some appropriate details or examples.12.0 ptsMinimalOffers somewhat obvious support that may be too broad. Details are too general, not interpreted, irrelevant to topics, or inappropriately repetitive.9.0 ptsUnacceptableOffers simplistic, undeveloped, or cryptic support for the ideas. Inappropriate or off-topic generalizations, faulty assumptions, errors of fact20.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeRequired Components20.0 ptsSuperiorResponse includes all components and meets or exceeds all requirements indicated in the instructions. Each question or part of the assignment is addressed thoroughly. All attachments and/or additional documents are included, as required.16.0 ptsSufficientResponse includes all components and meets all requirements indicated in the instructions. Each question or part of the assignment is addressed. All attachments and/or additional documents are included, as required.12.0 ptsMinimalResponse is missing some components and/or does not fully meet the requirements indicated in the instructions. Some questions or parts of the assignment are not addressed. Some attachments and additional documents, if required, are missing or unsuitable for the assignment.9.0 ptsUnacceptableResponse excludes essential components and/or does not address the requirements indicated in the instructions. Many parts of the assignment are addressed minimally, inadequately, and/or not at all.20.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeStructure/Documentation20.0 ptsSuperiorWriting is clear, concise, and well organized with excellent sentence/paragraph construction. Thoughts are expressed in a coherent and logical manner.16.0 ptsSufficientWriting is mostly clear, concise, and well organized with good sentence/paragraph construction. Thoughts are expressed in a coherent and logical manner.12.0 ptsMinimalWriting is unclear and/or disorganized. Thoughts are not expressed in a logical manner.9.0 ptsUnacceptableWriting is unclear and disorganized. Thoughts ramble and make little sense.20.0 pts
Total Points: 100.0