This course focuses on the business sector commonly called charitable nonprofits. These organizations are classified under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code. They are exempt from federal taxes, allowed to accept tax-exempt contributions, and not allowed to lobby or use their funds to support candidates for public office. These organizations will be studied during this course, beginning with the one you choose to use for your final project. As part of your strategic analysis, you will look at all aspects of the organization, interview members of the organization, and even suggest a plan for making the organization more successful.
In your journal assignment, please address the following:
- Identify a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that you would like to study throughout the course.
- For additional ideas on which not-for-profit organization to select, visit the National Council of Nonprofits website.
- If you would like to research a not-for-profit organization in your neighborhood, use your browser to search for the name of your city and the words “not-for-profit,” “nonprofit,” or “volunteer opportunities.” You should find several organizations to choose from.
- In your journal assignment, complete the following:
- Identify the not-for-profit organization that you have chosen for your final project.
- Explain why you chose this not-for-profit organization. What appealed to you? Why is this organization a good candidate for the strategic analysis that you will perform for the final project?
Guidelines for Submission: Submit assignment as a Word document with double spacing, 12-point Times New Roman font, and one-inch margins. These journal assignments should be at least 250 words in length.