Bonus Assignment: The bonus point assignment (1,000 words max) is due at noon on 05.04
2021 (so if you plan on doing this assignment, you should start early!). The highest possible
outcome for this bonus exercise is an additional 5% to your final grade. For this assignment,
write a critical review of one of the following books:
– Timothy Brook, Quelling the People: The Military Suppression of the Beijing Democracy
Movement (Stanford University Press, 1998).
– Judith Shapiro, Mao’s War Against Nature: Politics and the Environment Against
Revolutionary China (Cambridge University Press, 2001).
– Jacob Eyferth, Eating Rice from Bamboo Roots: The Social History of a Community of
Handicraft Papermakers in Rural Sichuan, 1920-2000 (Harvard University Press, 2009).
– Gail Hershatter, The Gender of Memory: Rural Women and China’s Collective Past
(University of California Press, 2011).
– Sigrid Schmalzer, Red Revolution, Green Revolution: Scientific Farming in Socialist
China (University of Chicago Press, 2016).
– Guobin Yang, The Red Guard Generation and Political Activism in China (Columbia
University Press, 2016).