Theme of these readings are Bodies and Sport.
A theme is listed with it to help you organize and synthesize your thoughts on these different readings. Treat this like a short essay. Keep the following things in mind when writing:
- I DO NOT WANT SUMMARIES OF THE ARTICLES. I know what they say and you know what they say.
- Consider what the readings identify about how sport was viewed and consequently practiced during a given time.
- Think of who participated and who was excluded (i.e. the effects of gatekeepers).
- If there is a quote you found particularly interesting or revealing from the reading, you should try to incorporate it. Keep it brief, however, this is about your thoughts, not someone else’s.
- Overall, your entry should look at how sport was part of American society at a particular time in American history and why you think it mattered (for better or worse).