Ashford 6: – Week 5 – Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Distinguish Critical Approaches
Prepare: Prior to completing this discussion, read the Critical Literary Theories handout.
Reflect: In the Critical Literary Theories handout, four different kinds of critical approaches are presented. Consider which of the four theories you find most interesting as a means for understanding literature.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references. Choose two of those critical approaches and address the points below.
- Describe each critical approach in detail.
- Compare and/or contrast the two critical approaches. How are they different and similar?
- Determine which critical approach you find most useful for examining the conflicts and meaning in literature.
- Explain why you chose this particular approach as the most useful. Why does it appeal to you?
Respond to Peers: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.