Unit Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Evaluate how the design of a database can affect data quality.
- Discuss the role of a data dictionary in ensuring both the quality of enterprise-wide data and data within a specific database application.
- Discuss how to ensure the integrity and security of data within a database.
- Explain the concept of data warehousing and how it is applicable to decision support.
- Describe the purpose of healthcare data sets and standards used healthcare data collection.
- Identify different types of data sets and their purpose
Course Outcomes assessed in this Assignment:
- HI300-2: Classify database technologies and healthcare information systems used to manage data and information.
- PC 3.2: Interact with others in a professional manner using appropriate communication and presentation skills.
Please complete all parts in a Microsoft Word document.
- The body of your document should be at least 1200 words in length.
- Quoting should be less than 10% of the entire paper. Paraphrasing is necessary.
- Students must cite and reference at least 4 credible sources from the Library.
- Visit the Academic Success Center: Writing Center to assist you with meeting APA expectations for written assignments.
Imagine that you are the Director of Health Information for a large hospital. As Director, you sit on various institution-wide committees which govern the organization’s policies. You have seen issues arise that cause you to propose changes in policies, procedures and operations across the hospital. Therefore, you have decided
to create a proposal to the CEO and Board of Directors, which you will develop in collaboration with committee teams. Please follow the instructions below in completion of this assignment.
1. Select two (2) applications/systems for clinical classification and coding (e.g., encoders, computer assisted coding (CAC), etc.) and appraise each vendor in terms of (1) capacity to evaluate quality coding practices, (2) possible implementation considerations/issues, and (3) systems management challenges and training needs. Provide support for one system that you find as the “best option” with rationale.
2.Consider the principles and applications of classification systems (e.g., ICD-10, HCPCS) and medical record auditing used within a clinical documentation improvement (CDI) program. Appraise the value and challenges of a quality CDI program by defending the need for ongoing CDI program support and critique at least three (3) challenges in the CDI process. Make connections between auditing, accurate diagnostic and procedural coding with classification systems, and CDI programs. Your executive summary should reflect upon the need for CDI and best practices for ensuring compliance.
3.Critique one interoperability issue that is possible within the health information exchange (HIE) (e.g., patient identity matching). Appraise at least three (3) best practices that address the issue.
4.Evaluate at least three (3) health information systems (HIS) and three (3) data storage designs (e.g., onsite, cloud). Select the best HIS and data storage design for disaster recovery purposes. Indicate your selections with rationale.
5.Evaluate three (3) managerial challenges related to clinical indices, databases, and registries from the perspective of a hospital’s health information management function. Recommend three (3) best practices or policies related to the management of secondary data sources.
6.With respect to data warehousing, appraise at least two (2) approaches in data warehouse design that supports quality data management from varying sources, processing/storage of data throughout the warehouse model, and meaningful output into the presentation layer. Summarize your recommendations in the executive summary.
7.Analyze data and information from the point of creation or collection, through the management, storage, and transformation into information and duration of its required retention period.