Regression Equation for Assignment 1
Q = – 5200 – 42P + 20PX + 5.2I + .20A + .25M
(2.002) (17.5) (6.2) (2.5) (0.09) (0.21)
R2 = 0.55 n = 26 F = 4.88
Assume the following values for the independent variables:
Q = Quantity sold per month
P (in cents) = Price of the product = 500
PX (in cents) = Price of leading competitor’s product = 600
I (in dollars) = Per capita income of the standard metropolitan statistical
area (SMSA) in which the supermarkets are located = 5,500
A (in dollars) = Monthly advertising expenditures = 10,000
M = Number of microwave ovens sold in the SMSA in which the
supermarkets are located = 5,000
Write a four to six (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Compute the elasticities for each independent variable. Note: Write down all of your calculations.
- Determine the implications for each of the computed elasticities for the business in terms of short-term and long-term pricing strategies. Provide a rationale in which you cite your results.
- Recommend whether you believe that this firm should or should not cut its price to increase its market share. Provide support for your recommendation.
- Assume that all the factors affecting demand in this model remain the same, but that the price has changed. Further assume that the price changes are 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 dollars.
- Plot the demand curve for the firm.
- Plot the corresponding supply curve on the same graph using the supply function Q = 5200 + 45P with the same prices.
- Determine the equilibrium price and quantity.
- Outline the significant factors that could cause changes in supply and demand for the product. Determine the primary manner in which both the short-term and the long-term changes in market conditions could impact the demand for, and the supply, of the product.
- Indicate the crucial factors that could cause rightward shifts and leftward shifts of the demand and supply curves.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not qualify as an academic resource.