6 discussions due in 30 hours
Human Services Populations: Discipline-Specific Skills [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 4 of the required text. Identify and discuss one vulnerable population category.
- Identify why this population is considered vulnerable.
- Discuss three to four needs of this population, which should be addressed by the human service professional.
- How have these needs changed in the past 10 years?
- How might these needs change in 10 more years?
- View the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs video and discuss how you (as a human service professional) would address these unmet needs with your chosen population.
Your initial post needs to be at least 350 words.
Counseling and Case Management [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 1 in your text. There are five scenarios in Chapter 1 of your text, detailing roles and functions of human service professionals. Choose one of the five scenarios and compare the counseling and case management functions in the scenario.
- Determine what case management aspects were utilized in the case.
- Determine what issues were addressed from a counseling perspective.
- Analyze what aspects of case management or counseling you as a human service professional might have utilized differently and justify why.
Support your post with material from the assigned text and one other scholarly source of your choosing. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment.
Your initial post needs to be at least 350 words.
Adolescence [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 6 of the required text. Adolescence is considered a distinct developmental period. Discuss one issue that may be faced by an adolescent (e.g., bullying, eating disorders, suicidal ideations, depression, substance abuse, etc.). Explore options, and recommend a treatment professional and a setting to address the adolescent’s issue. State why that professional and that setting are the best options. Your main discussion post should consist of approximately 350 words.
Homelessness in the United States [WLO: 1] [CLOs: 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 9 in the assigned text. Determine and discuss the circumstances, both historical and contemporary, that have contributed to the problem of one of the following populations:
- homeless children,
- homeless runaway youth,
- homeless veterans, or
- homeless single parent families.
Identify one example of a potential risk that could be faced by your chosen population. Explain how a human services professional can most effectively tend to the needs of your chosen population. Identify and provide at least one current societal or governmental initiative that has been implemented nationally or in your area to help your chosen population. Your initial post should be at least 350 words in length.
Mental Illness & Mental Disorders [WLO: 2] [CLOs: 2, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 8 in the assigned text and refer to Mental Disorders (Links to an external site.).
Select any specific mental illness from Chapter 8 of your text.
- Summarize the mental illness into a paragraph.
- Research the possible causes of the illness, who is at risk, the symptoms, and some of the available treatments and therapies. Explain to the class in two to three paragraphs.
- Continue to teach the class by training them how they could each, as human services professionals, work with an individual diagnosed with this mental illness as part of a broader treatment plan.
- Your initial post should be at least 350 words in length.
Ethics [WLOs: 1, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 3 in the assigned text.
Imagine you are a human service professional bound by general ethical principles, but also by the agency policies of your employer. Your agency only provides career assistance; all other assistance is a referral to other resources. The client is in a situation where they cannot afford clothes for interviews, and your agency provides no monetary assistance. Other options have been exhausted, and you are contemplating paying for an outfit yourself because this client is sincerely trying to become self-sufficient.
Utilize the four assumptions of Kitchener’s model of ethical decision-making and, following a National Organization of Human Services (NOHS) ethical principle, arrive at a rationale for paying or not paying for an outfit for the client. Your initial post should be at least 350 words.
Martin, M. E. (2018). Introduction to human services: Through the eyes of practice settings (4th ed.). Pearson.
- The full-text version of this ebook is available through your online classroom through the VitalSource platform.
- Hill, D., & Mrug, S. (2015). School-level correlates of adolescent tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana use. Substance Use & Misuse, 50(12), 1518–1528. https://doi.org/10.3109/10826084.2015.1023449
- Kumar, R., O’Malley, P., Johnston, L., & Laetz, V. (2013). Alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use prevention programs in U.S. schools: A descriptive summary. Prevention Science, 14(6), 581–592. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-012-0340-z
- LoPatin-Lummis, N. (2010). Protesting about pauperism: Poverty, politics and poor relief in late-Victorian England, 1870-1900 [Review of the book Protesting about pauperism: Poverty, politics and poor relief in late-Victorian England, 1870-1900, by E. T. Hurren]. Journal of Social History, 43(4), 1082–1084. https://doi.org/10.1353/jsh.0.0327
- Miller, S. E., Tice, C. J., & Harnek Hall, D. M. (2008). The generalist model: Where do the micro and macro converge? (Links to an external site.) Advances in Social Work, 9(2), 80–90. https://doi.org/10.18060/203
- Moffat, C. T. (2011, Fall). Helping those in need: Human service workers. Occupational Outlook Quarterly, 55(3), 22–32.
- Neukrug, E., Sparkman, N., & Moe, J. (2017). The Holland code of members of the national organization for human services: A preliminary study of human services professionals. Journal of Employment Counseling, 54(4), 146–155. https://doi.org/10.1002/joec.12063
- Puterbaugh, D. (2015, May 28). Self-care in the world of empirically supported treatments (Links to an external site.). Counseling Today. http://ct.counseling.org/2015/05/self-care-in-the-world-of-empirically-supported-treatments/
- Yaffe, D. (2019, June). Sobriety studies: Recovery high schools show success in helping students overcome substance abuse. District Administration, 55(6), 24–27.