This week, we learned about diversion and probation and intermediate sanctions. For your Unit 2 Complete assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum 1200 words) in which you address and discuss the questions and statements listed below. Use at least three scholarly sources and remember to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections in your essay. Quote your sources in APA format.
- How important to you, as a taxpayer, is recidivism as a measure of program success?
- Do you believe probation officers can really keep offenders from committing new crimes or violating the conditions of their probation?
- If you were a probation officer today, by which outcome measures would you want to be judged? Why?
- Consider the following scenario. There was a new diversion program developed in your county to help first-time misdemeanor drug offenders avoid incarceration and seek help in controlling their dependence. Your job as a diversion officer is to set conditions of diversion and then monitor and enforce compliance. One of your first customers fails the required weekly drug test. Should you immediately remove that person from the program?
- What are the reasons why policy makers and voters are favoring intermediate sanctions for nonviolent, low-risk offenders?
- Based on the average annual cost of boot camps (Exhibit 5-3) and the literature surrounding the effectiveness of boot camps, what would you predict about the future of boot camps?
- Consider the following scenario: You have been called to speak to a group of legislators regarding the importance of intermediate sanctions. Even though most of the intermediate sanctions show little, if any, impact on reducing criminal activity, explain to the group of legislators why they should not pull the plug on intermediate sanctions. Think about the other goals that intermediate sanctions achieve.